Album: Heinz Sauer/ Michael Wollny, If (Blue) Then (Blue) (Act)
Sunday 17 January 2010
The musical partnership of tenor saxophonist Sauer (born 1932) and pianist Michael Wollny (born 1978) has been one of the highlights of the past jazz decade.
This new set of duos, with Joachim Kuhn replacing Wollny for seven of the 16 tracks, owes its irritating title to Kind of Blue, whose "Blue in Green", "All Blues" and "Flamenco Sketches" are given bare-bones reworkings, but the real story lies in the acres of space Sauer's gruff tone and oblique phrasing get to roam in. It's one of the great saxophone voices.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up – and Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >