Album: I Am Kloot, I Am Kloot Play Moolah Rouge (Skinny Dog)
I Am Kloot's sonic palette has been augmented by pedal steel guitar and keyboards, but songwriter John Bramwell's emotional state is as fragile as ever.
Even the euphoria of love is clouded with dark chords in "Ferris Wheels", while the pedal steel adds only a veneer of poignancy to "Down At the Front", one of several songs dealing with leaving. "In my way I was in my way, incomplete," Bramwell sings in "The Runaways". The feeling of being surplus to requirements pervades songs such as "Chaperoned", "Suddenly Strange" and "Only Role In Town" – but then, this is a man who feels out of place in his own dreams: "When I sleep at night the creatures crawl, and I get caught up in a one-man brawl with me". There's an anticipation of reconciliation in "At the Sea", but I wouldn't count on it.
Pick of the album:'One Man Brawl', 'The Runaways', 'Only Role In Town'
Arts & Ents blogs
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.