Album: I Am Kloot, Sky at Night (Shepherd Moon)
Friday 02 July 2010
Climate and weather have always provided a rich source of imagery for I Am Kloot songsmith John Bramwell, so the shift to the nocturnal heavens on the Guy Garvey-produced Sky At Night seems only a slight extension of his habit of keeping an eye on the emotional weather.
As ever, the prevailing moods are of regret, romantic enervation and resignation, with a veneer of crepuscular, Hawley-esque melancholy settling over songs such as "To The Brink", where the strings are like dust-sheets over furniture in a deserted mansion of the heart. The pace rarely rises above funereal, while the glum tone speaks as much of the bitter consolation of alcohol as it does of the pain of isolation in songs such as "Proof" and "The Moon Is A Blind Eye". It's stylish, but more bitter than sweet.
DOWNLOAD THIS Northern Skies; To The Brink; Radiation
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia