Album: Ida Maria, Fortress Round My Heart (RCA)
Friday 25 July 2008
Ida Maria grew up in Norway with little to do but wish she was Iggy Pop and act mildly antisocial.
"Oh My God" is her explosive calling-card, and on "Stella", yelling, "Stella, oh Stella, I wanna give you the world if you'll just stay with me tonight," she's one part Brando's Stanley Kowalski to two parts drunkenly pleading girl. "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked", with its proto-punk riff, and "Keep Me Warm" repeat the formula to lesser effect.
The music by her Norwegian band is Anglophile in the worst way; bouncy pop-punk that finds little of the excitement she desires. "See Me Through", in which she fears the existence of God, swerves into more interesting vulnerability, which in a year or so she may be ready to explore.
Pick of the album:'Oh My God', 'Stella', 'See Me Through'
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Black Mirror Christmas special: Jon Hamm episode will see people 'blocked' in real life
True Detective series 2: Rachel McAdams cast in female lead as 'no-nonsense' detective
Zoella: YouTube sensation Zoe Sugg's debut novel expected to become overnight bestseller
Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
Posh People: Inside Tatler, BBC2 - TV review: Fundamentally not just about posh people
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict