Album: Irma Thomas, Simply Grand (Decca/Rounder)
Friday 08 August 2008
The punning album title – this collection of songs pairs the Soul Queen of New Orleans with a series of solo piano accompanists – implies both the strengths and occasional weaknesses of Irma Thomas's voice. A powerful and authoritative instrument, it has undeniable grandeur on the best tracks, such as John Fogerty's "River Is Waiting", but sometimes it's too statuesque to animate the material, as on the ill-fitting new Bacharach composition "What Can I Do". Such failures are rare here, particularly when Thomas is supported by hometown pianists such as Dr John, Henry Butler and Tom McDermott, and her control of expression in the service of emotion is best demonstrated alongside Randy Newman, bringing a regal dignity to "I Think It's Going To Rain Today".
'River Is Waiting', 'I Think It's Going To Rain Today'
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Lynda Bellingham dead: Loose Women presenter dies after battle with colon cancer
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'