Album: Jah Wobble and the Chinese Orchestra, Chinese Dub, (30 Hertz)
Sunday 08 February 2009
Since his seminal work with Public Image Limited some 30 years ago, no other bass player has left so recognisable a sonic footprint on their work than Mr Wobble.
Even here, when his job is to anchor a 22-piece Chinese orchestra, the bass holds this ethereal, imperial music down, at the same time as funking it up. Mongolian/Tibetan singers Gu Ying Ji and Wang Jingqi provide the tranquil "yin" to Wobble's solid, speaker-busting "yang" on this epic landscape of a record.
Pick of the album: PiL lovers will find 'Happy Tibetan Girl' approachable
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >