Album: Jasmine Kara, Blues Ain't Nothing But a Good Woman Gone Bad (Acid Jazz)
When Swedish-Iranian singer Jasmine Kara relocated to New York, she found her homeland of the soul – not to mention an influential advocate in music-biz legend Marshall Chess, who considered her "the real deal".
He's not wrong: on the album he executive-produced for her, Kara's powerful, piercing voice harks back to the raw blues delivery of Etta James and Koko Taylor, while the arrangements blending big, brash horns with slippery slide-guitar parts furnish the perfect settings, split between Motown/Sue-style soul stompers, and grittier R&B reflecting Chess's own history. Highlights include a reworked, uptempo cover of Little Walter's "My Babe",and "Try My Love Again" recalibrated as energetic blue-beat ska. An exhilarating debut.
DOWNLOAD THIS Fire; Ain't No More Room; Try My Love Again; In The Basement
TVEnough to make ardent arachnophobes think twice
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Benedict Cumberbatch imagines 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene in graphic detail
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Halloween 2014: The scariest movies to watch on Netflix
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'