Album: Jeb Loy Nichols, The Jeb Loy Nichols (Special Decca)
Jeb Loy Nichols's work has secured critical acclaim but not commercial success, a frustrating equation reflected in his frequent switches of label.
This time Decca have been attracted by the best track, the single "Countrymusicdisco45" – though it's not a positive sign that this was also the best track on 2009's Parish Bar album, too. An understated jazz combo backs Nichols on covers of songs by Merle Haggard, Townes Van Zandt, and country-soul legends Larry Jon Wilson and Donnie Fritts, and original material that reflects his laidback lifestyle and his understandably melancholy worldview, best expressed in "Disappointment".
Download: Countrymusicdisco45; Disappointment; The Quiet Life
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it