Album: Jim Noir, Jim Noir (My Dad Recordings)
Sunday 06 April 2008
The army of bedsit Brian Wilsons that began to march as technology revolutionised the recording process merely went to show how difficult it was to match the maestro in terms of warmth, wonder and, crucially, songwriting.
The same can not be said of Manchester's Jim Noir. Imagine Hot Chip playing the Beach Boys greatest hits and replacing all references to California with lyrics that muse on local chippies and the joys of going to the same place for your holidays every year. An astonishing and inventive record from start to finish, this is nothing less than the laptop-pop 'Pet Sounds'. I kid you not.
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >