Album: John Martyn, Heaven and Earth (Hole-in-the-Rain)
Friday 13 May 2011
John Martyn's valedictory recordings have a suitably weary presence that makes even such legendary laidback soporificos as J J Cale and Leonard Cohen seem positively sprightly by comparison.
You can almost hear the life-force ebbing away as that warm, slurred drawl dissolves into a series of extempore mumbles, the disconnected phrases rarely adding up to a recognisable song. In the opening "Heel of the Hunt", mutterings about the Brothers Grimm and Jay "Tonto" Silverheels ride a gentle funk groove speared with darts of lead guitar; in "Stand Amazed", burbling clavinet and accordion form a reggae-funk setting for Martyn's mild complaint about his dog not knowing his name. The best is left to last, with the singer's protestations that he's still "Willing to Work": "Give me a name, I will live up to it," he sings, as good an epitaph as any.
DOWNLOAD THIS Willing to Work; Heel of the Hunt; Stand Amazed
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God