Album: Joni Mitchell, The Studio Albums 1968-1979 (Warner Bros)
The 10 albums that comprise this box set depict one of the most extraordinary career arcs in all of pop music, testament to the questing intelligence with which Joni Mitchell approached music.
Her earlier albums, particularly Blue, offer an unmatched portrait of the West Coast hippie mindset: like poetic ledgers of free-love accounts, they measure profit and loss not just in immediate emotional terms, but in the restraints placed on one's freedom. The albums The Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Hejira remain landmark works, though her pursuit of jazz lured her further from a mainstream fanbase.
Download: Carey; Coyote; Both Sides Now; Big Yellow Taxi; The Jungle Line
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'