Album: K D Lang
Friday 25 January 2008
This is Lang's first album of new material since 2000's Invincible Summer, a relaxed schedule that works to the benefit of her material. And though most of the songs are, like Adele's, about love and relationships, and use similar country/folk/ jazz arrangements, there's a sophistication of outlook that lifts them above the merely adolescent, while lang's delivery is achingly perfect, her haunted croon somehow at once evoking desire and despair on tracks such as "Once in a While", "I Dream of Spring" and the languidly lustful "Sunday".
The album's latter stages delve deeper into lang's psyche, confronting her loss of faith in "Jealous Dog", asking "Does the taste for truth disappear with youth?" in "Shadow and the Frame", and cursing her own self-critical character in "Flame of the Uninspired", a salutary rumination on ambition and compromise, marked by a desolate beauty all her own. Well worth the wait.
Download this: 'Flame of the Uninspired', 'Sunday', 'Once in a While', 'I Dream of Spring', 'Coming Home'
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter