Album: K T Tunstall, The Scarlet Tulip EP (www.kttunstall.com)
Friday 29 April 2011
Available only via download and the merchandise stall of her imminent US tour, The Scarlet Tulip finds K T Tunstall taking a step back from the modernist rapprochements of last year's Tiger Suit, abandoning even her familiar chunky rhythm-guitar loops for seven delicately fingerpicked folk songs featuring just her voice and acoustic guitar.
There's a reflective calm to her work on the title-track and "Hidden Heart", the latter written for Bruce Parry's Amazonian land-protection project: "Down, down, cut me down, so I can lie on familiar ground". The brief, waltzing love-song "The Punk" and "Patience" offer more intimate revelations: "My heart knows just what it wants from me/ It's not a democracy in my soul". It's all rounded off with the a cappella "Shanty of the Whale", a flinty piece sung from the viewpoint of the dismembered beast.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Punk; Hidden Heart; Patience; Shanty of the Whale
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
JK Rowling drops new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict