Album: K T Tunstall, The Scarlet Tulip EP (www.kttunstall.com)
Friday 29 April 2011
Available only via download and the merchandise stall of her imminent US tour, The Scarlet Tulip finds K T Tunstall taking a step back from the modernist rapprochements of last year's Tiger Suit, abandoning even her familiar chunky rhythm-guitar loops for seven delicately fingerpicked folk songs featuring just her voice and acoustic guitar.
There's a reflective calm to her work on the title-track and "Hidden Heart", the latter written for Bruce Parry's Amazonian land-protection project: "Down, down, cut me down, so I can lie on familiar ground". The brief, waltzing love-song "The Punk" and "Patience" offer more intimate revelations: "My heart knows just what it wants from me/ It's not a democracy in my soul". It's all rounded off with the a cappella "Shanty of the Whale", a flinty piece sung from the viewpoint of the dismembered beast.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Punk; Hidden Heart; Patience; Shanty of the Whale
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Real-life Philomena says film is not 'anti-Catholic'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims