Album: K T Tunstall, Tiger Suit, Relentless
Friday 24 September 2010
For her third album, K T Tunstall has tried to combine her folksy, singer-songwriter stylings with dance-conscious beats and electronic textures.
Save for the occasional distorted noise loop, sequenced vocal percussion or background ambient shimmer, the results aren't actually that distant from her usual approach, with chunky rhythm-guitar grooves driving songs like "Glamour Puss" and "Push That Knot Away". The latter, perhaps, refers to the aesthetic crisis she suffered in Greenland, covered in "Uummannaq Song", the native chanting element of which recalls early Sinead O'Connor. Lyrically, the best track is the single "(Still a) Weirdo", in which KT outlines her modus operandum: "Pay no lip service, keep it eloquent/ Optimistic but still quite elegant/ Still a weirdo after all these years".
DOWNLOAD THIS Uummannaq Song; (Still a) Weirdo; Difficulty
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland