Album: Kaki King, Dreaming of Revenge (Velour)
Friday 27 June 2008
Kaki King's unorthodox approach to the guitar has already secured her a guest spot on the last Foo Fighters album, and a Golden Globe nomination for her soundtrack to Into the Wild.
On Dreaming of Revenge, she's teamed up with guitarist/producer Malcolm Burn, whose apprenticeship with Daniel Lanois has given him a keen sense of how to create atmosphere in a recording. Their alliance works well, Burn lending clarity and cohesion to the guitar whines and springy pads of "Montreal", and expertly blending "Sad American" into superior incidental music.
"Bone Chaos in the Castle" features King's tapped-string figures overlaid with wiry threads of lead guitar, while her development as a songwriter is indicated by songs such as "Life Being What It Is" and "Saving Days in a Frozen Head".
Pick of the album:'Bone Chaos in the Castle', 'Montreal', 'Life Being What It Is', 'Open Mouth', 'Sad American'
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action