Album: Kami Thompson, Love Lies (Warner Music)
If you didn't know Kami Thompson was a scion of the noted folk family – daughter to Richard and Linda, sister to Teddy – you could instantly tell, not just by the characteristic filigree of skirling, subtly bent notes in her dad's guitar solo on the opening track, but also by the pervasive affinity for heartbreak and melancholy.
She admits Love Lies is largely "self-indulgent break-up music", wryly adding that one should "stick with what you know" – hence the way that the jaunty charm of the hopeful transatlantic liaison with "Little Boy Blue" immediately sours in "4,000 Miles", a process repeated elsewhere in songs such as "Stormy" and "Never Again". Kami's own voice comes through clearest on "Nice Cars", the allegory she wrote for her mum's last album, and in the dark determination of "Blood Wedding".
DOWNLOAD THIS: Nice Cars; Blood Wedding; Little Boy Blue; 4,000 Miles
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Bob Dylan's 'going electric' guitar from Newport Folk Festival sells for nearly $1m
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >