Album: Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid
The Exchange Session Vol 1, DOMINO
Friday 24 February 2006
On Four Tet's Everything Ecstatic from last year, Kieran Hebden busied himself too intensely with a drum machine, burying everything under a laborious clutter of beats that were both rigid and desultory. Thanks, then, to Antoine from the shop Paris Jazz Corner for putting Hebden in touch with Steve Reid, who as a teenager drummed on "Dancing In The Street", and who went on to play with the likes of Sun Ra and Miles Davis. Reid's sophisticated sense of rhythm brings new depth and texture to Hebden's music, with his sprinklings of small percussion and fiery bursts of trap drums on "Soul Oscillations" recalling the early Seventies work of the Art Ensemble Of Chicago, while Hebden's organ drones, flute and sax samples, kalimba-tone keyboards and sharp incursions of electronic noise evoke Sun Ra's out-there style. It all comes to a head on the 16 minutes of "Electricity And Drum Will Change Your Mind", where deranged sax and keyboards soar and dive in the turmoil established by Reid's flurries of drums. It's jazz, Jim, but not as Jamie Cullum knows it.
DOWNLOAD THIS: 'Electricity And Drum Will Change Your Mind'
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park