Album: Klezmer Juice, Yiddish Lidele, (ARC)
Sunday 22 March 2009
According to the Jewish Argentinian clarinettist Gustavo Bulgach, who leads Klezmer Juice, klezmer is like a soapy pig which no one can catch; wherever it feeds, it takes on the local colour.
Klezmer Juice are based in Los Angeles, and everything from raga to jazz goes into their mix, but it's still classic klezmer through and through. The traditional Yiddish songs are delivered with an upfront gutsiness, but the instrumental textures are unusually refined.
Pick of the album: The traditional song 'Happy Nigun', and sail away
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly