Album: Lawson Trio, The Long Way Home (Prima Facie)
The debut release from the Lawson Trio comprises world-premiere performances
of contemporary works by such as Anthony Powers, David Knotts and Mark-Anthony
Turnage, putting the young piano trio through the full gamut of techniques and
The precipitous, jagged progress of Camden Reeves's "The Dead Broke Blues Break" is likened by the composer to a stylus jumping on a battered old blues record, while Turnage's "A Fast Stomp" shifts from energetic pizzicato to harrowing piano clusters. David Knotts's title-suite blends tolling-bell piano with wistful strings, and Anthony Powers' "Piano Trio", is a brooding suite built around traditional folksongs on troubling themes, culminating in a confident, satisfying resolution.
Download: A Fast Stomp; Piano Trio; The Long Way Home
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Tony Benn meets Ali G: Watch Labour veteran burn Sacha Baron Cohen
- 3 Women do experience two different types of orgasm, study reveals
- 4 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set