Album: Lawson Trio, The Long Way Home (Prima Facie)
The debut release from the Lawson Trio comprises world-premiere performances
of contemporary works by such as Anthony Powers, David Knotts and Mark-Anthony
Turnage, putting the young piano trio through the full gamut of techniques and
The precipitous, jagged progress of Camden Reeves's "The Dead Broke Blues Break" is likened by the composer to a stylus jumping on a battered old blues record, while Turnage's "A Fast Stomp" shifts from energetic pizzicato to harrowing piano clusters. David Knotts's title-suite blends tolling-bell piano with wistful strings, and Anthony Powers' "Piano Trio", is a brooding suite built around traditional folksongs on troubling themes, culminating in a confident, satisfying resolution.
Download: A Fast Stomp; Piano Trio; The Long Way Home
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 5 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
Game of Thrones season 6: 'A Song of Ice and Fire should be finished by 1998,' said George R. R. Martin, 'but don't hold your breath'
Sherlock season 4: Benedict Cumberbatch will be 'a lot less brattish' in Victorian special
Find out what song was number one on the day you were born
The top 20 books every student should read before leaving secondary school
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke