Album: Lightspeed Champion, Life Is Sweet, Nice to Meet You (Domino)
Sunday 14 February 2010
"Now you're happy...", sings Devonte Hynes, gritting his teeth with dignity as his old love finds someone new, "and that's lovely..." But he won't let it go.
"I saw us in 20 years' time..." he adds, twisting the knife in his own heart. To bare your soul like this takes testicles, and the former Test Icicle comes equipped. The second Lightspeed Champion has a more expansive (expensive?) production than the first. Hynes is shaping up as a British Adam Green: not a genius, but a nice guy who's mastered the knack of emoting without being an emo ting.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'