Album: Little Axe, If You Want Loyalty Buy A Dog (On-U Sound)
Marking 25 years of the musical
partnership between guitarist Skip McDonald and producer Adrian Sherwood, If
You Want Loyalty Buy A Dog is a textbook Little Axe album, stuffed with
dub-blues grooves that manage to be simultaneously soothing yet unsettling.
The astringency of McDonald's National steel guitar tone is offset by the lightness of his touch, particularly on bottleneck slide; and once again, Sherwood and he unerringly locate the shared territory of blues and reggae, in grooves ranging from the chain-gang trudge of "Grace" to the Nyabinghi-beat percussion chant of "I Got Da Blues". Harmonica lines invade the slide-guitar dubs, and occasionally a chunky tack-piano riff brings pep to the languid pace; while throughout, sampled gospel and blues moans haunt the backing tracks, strained through decades of history, nowhere more effectively than on the opening "Song To Sing".
Download this: Song To Sing; Keep On Drinking; Come Here Dog And Get Your Bone
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
What are the worst 'Word Crimes'?
Hercules, review: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson takes centre stage in preposterous film
Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
Noel Fielding's 'Luxury Comedy': A land of the outright bizarre
Can Secret Cinema sell 80,000 'Back to the Future' tickets?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia