Album: Little Beaver
The Very Best of..., EMI / Stateside
Friday 30 April 2004
A welcome side-effect of Joss Stone's success has been the revival of interest in the early Seventies Florida soul scene that furnished her session players on The Soul Sessions. There's a new Betty Wright albm in the offing, and Stateside is issuing retrospective compilations of Latimore and Timmy Thomas alongside this splendid collection from guitarist Willie Hale, aka Little Beaver. Although a fairly one-dimensional vocalist, and boasting few lyrical pretensions, Little Beaver is a superb guitarist with an unerring grasp of the power of syncopation, never better than when lending a funky offbeat twitch to a track. His work on Wright's landmark "Clean Up Woman" is justly revered for its infectious springiness, closely revisited here in the interlocking guitar lines of "Groove On", though his signature work remains the laid-back funk-soul groove "Party Down (Pts 1 & 2)", a song that retains the indefinable magic of a classic, 30 years later. Here, and in similar exercises such as "Let the Good Times Roll" and "I Can Dig It Baby", Beaver suspends his relaxed guitar grooves upon the metronomic drum-machine beats, with a lightness of touch that recalls the likes of Eric Gale, Cornell Dupree and Gabor Szabo.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >