Album: Los Chicarrons, Roots of Life (Tummy Touch)
Friday 18 February 2011
Los Chicharrons' odd-couple pairing of Dominican-American Ramon Santana and Dane Morten Hansen has long proven a fertile source of crossover dance strains throughout Tummy Touch's 15-year existence.
Inspired by a trip to Mali, this fourth album blends in even more disparate strains, creating the year's most irresistible dance grooves so far. Opener "Kounandi" is typical, a skittishly infectious electro-balafon exercise delicately laced with threads of kora and flute, featuring a strident vocal refrain by Mariam Draba; on "Saramba's Song", interlocking guitar vamps and surging organ provide the bed for feisty horn riffs. Elsewhere, "Bamako" features Santana-esque staccato organ and percussion, while "Koko" and "Ma Do Nar" add American marching-band drums, and Latin-flavoured piano, respectively, to the pumping Afro grooves.
DOWNLOAD THIS Kounandi; Saramba's Song; Ma Do Nar; Bamako
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world