Album: Loudon Wainwright III, High, Wide and Handsome (Proper)
Sunday 16 August 2009
It is the fashion for theveterans of post-warAmerican music to makeobeisance to the luminariesof pre-war music, and doit in upholstered packaging.
Here's LWIII payingtribute to his early inspiration,the 1920s singer andbanjo player CharliePoole, a rascal. This 30-song two-CD set looks likea period hardback andcomes with enough printedmatter to keep a hobo dry.Dick Connette producesand writes; assorted familymembers contribute, as doUSfolk cats. "Mother's LastFarewell Kiss" is just the tipof the iceberg. A larnin'experience.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 2 Orange Is The New Black has not been cancelled – it was a hoax
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action