Album: Loudon Wainwright III, Older Than My Old Man Now (Proper)
Sunday 15 April 2012
LW3's dad was Loudon Wainwright Jr, a senior journalist at Life magazine. And we all know there comes a time in every chap's life when he has to face up to the reality of his old man, whether we like it (or him) or not. Just ask Rufus Wainwright.
What? Of course Rufus is on it. As are most of the people who've ever meant much to LW3, including daughters, ex-wives, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Chris Smither and Dame Edna Everage. Yes, that one. They duet on "I Remember Sex". And if you're thinking, "Well, that's going to be a barrell of laughs", then you'd be on the money. It is funny. But it is also touching, wise and not half as self-exculpatory as such exercises often are. It is, as you might expect, an album of Americana for grown-ups. You don't have to be dead, or even on the slippery slope, to appreciate that it's a rather beautiful thing.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
‘Remember the attackers are a cold-blooded, crazy minority’, says Blek le Rat
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd