Album: Magnetic Man, Magnetic Man (Columbia)
Sunday 10 October 2010
Think dubstep and you conjure up darkened dancefloors and shuddering basslines.
Magnetic Man – the collective formed by Benga, Skream and Artwork – beg you to think again. In a bid for mainstream acceptance, the south Londoners have swapped head-nodding beats with floaty synths and tracks such as "Boiling Water" wouldn't sound out of place in a naff holiday resort.
There are notable exceptions, though, such as "Fire" feat Ms Dynamite. It's bouncy, chart-friendly and decidedly undubsteppy.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter