Album: Mama Roisin, Bye Bye Bayou (Moi J'connais Records)
Sunday 07 October 2012
For once a press release's claim of "breakthrough album" isn't just hot air. The Blues Explosion's Jon Spencer has encouraged the Swiss cajun/punk trio to take their most memorable and original batch of songs to date and play them in such a raucous, energetic and swaggeringly confident fashion that it makes their earlier efforts seem anaemic and polite by comparison.
Thirteen songs in 35 minutes, no fillers, no let-up, no competition. Exhilarating stuff.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians