Album: Mama Rosin Bye Bye Bayou Moi J'Connais bbbb
Young Cajun garage-rockers Mama Rosin have found their perfect producer in
Jon Spencer: an alliance of primitivist spirits keen to keep a roots music-form
out of the museum, much as with Spencer's earlier work with bluesman RL
Tracks like "Marilou" and "Sorry Ti Monde" are awash in pumping accordion and splashy cymbals, chased by what sounds like the wailing of ghostly banshees. But it's a pliable, adaptable sound: with its banjo and guitar, "Seco E Molhado" has a rolling, Western groove, while "Mama Don't" occupies psycho-blues territory so familiar to Spencer. The songs cover a broad range, from the BP oil-spill disaster to tributes to Leonard Cohen and, less explicably, Wivenhoe in Essex.
Download: Marilou; Sorry Ti Monde; Paraît Qu'y A Pas l'Temps; Mama Don't
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 5 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
Game of Thrones season 6: 'A Song of Ice and Fire should be finished by 1998,' said George R. R. Martin, 'but don't hold your breath'
Sherlock season 4: Benedict Cumberbatch will be 'a lot less brattish' in Victorian special
Find out what the number one film was on the day you were born and watch its trailer
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality