Album: Maroon 5, Hands All Over (A&M)
The studio anchor of Maroon 5's third album is super-producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange, who apparently approached the band, rather than the other way round, before inflicting upon them the same process to which he subjected Def Leppard, Bryan Adams and AC/DC: basically, strip away everything, get them to write better songs, and start from scratch.
The results – ranging from anthemic ballads like "Just A Feeling" to funk-metal workouts such as the title track, with some bass-led funk-pop strutters like "Misery" and "Give A Little More" – will doubtless sell in colossal quantities. But all Lange's skills still can't impose a firm character on this most faceless of bands, whose songs fizz with a momentary ersatz-soul quality but evaporate almost instantly – the musical equivalent of the Cheshire Cat.
DOWNLOAD THIS Misery; Give A Little More
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria