Album: Maroon 5, Hands All Over (A&M)
Friday 17 September 2010
The studio anchor of Maroon 5's third album is super-producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange, who apparently approached the band, rather than the other way round, before inflicting upon them the same process to which he subjected Def Leppard, Bryan Adams and AC/DC: basically, strip away everything, get them to write better songs, and start from scratch.
The results – ranging from anthemic ballads like "Just A Feeling" to funk-metal workouts such as the title track, with some bass-led funk-pop strutters like "Misery" and "Give A Little More" – will doubtless sell in colossal quantities. But all Lange's skills still can't impose a firm character on this most faceless of bands, whose songs fizz with a momentary ersatz-soul quality but evaporate almost instantly – the musical equivalent of the Cheshire Cat.
DOWNLOAD THIS Misery; Give A Little More
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your scrolling
- 3 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Jet ‘hijacking’ began soon after take-off
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set