Album: Martha Wainwright, I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too (Drowned in Sound)
Sunday 11 May 2008
The stuff comes out of her without filter, not so much stream of consciousness as unconscionable torrent: crossness, self-pity, indignation, wit, vision, witchy vituperation, vivid regret, terror.
Part of Martha's charm lies in the passion of her incontinence, as if the exercise of restraint were a cheat. Then there are her arrangements – all nicely turned and inoffensively semi-acoustic, they sit back and accommodate the flow. It's music of heart if not much reason, and for that alone you have to take it seriously, however bonkers you know it really to be. It's possible she may be Patti Smith's crazy sister, not Rufus Wainwright's.
Pick of the Album: 'Bleeding All Over You': listen and leak
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Martin Scorsese 'in shock and sorrow' after death on set of new film Silence
The secret joke hidden in Silence of the Lambs' most famous line
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia