Album: Martha Wainwright, I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too (Drowned in Sound)
Sunday 11 May 2008
The stuff comes out of her without filter, not so much stream of consciousness as unconscionable torrent: crossness, self-pity, indignation, wit, vision, witchy vituperation, vivid regret, terror.
Part of Martha's charm lies in the passion of her incontinence, as if the exercise of restraint were a cheat. Then there are her arrangements – all nicely turned and inoffensively semi-acoustic, they sit back and accommodate the flow. It's music of heart if not much reason, and for that alone you have to take it seriously, however bonkers you know it really to be. It's possible she may be Patti Smith's crazy sister, not Rufus Wainwright's.
Pick of the Album: 'Bleeding All Over You': listen and leak
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments