Album: Massive Attack, Heligoland (Virgin)
Sunday 07 February 2010
Where do you go when the sound you pioneered has been absorbed by the mainstream as a default setting for car ads?
Sadly, if you are Massive Attack, you carry on as if nothing has happened. So instead of state-of-the-nation dark electronica that nods to developments in the genre over the past decade, we get more moody music with Martina Topley Bird and Horace Andy on vocals. Oh, and let's chuck in a few "indie" guests, too. Radical. No longer vital, then, but not without the odd moment to remind us why they mattered.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world