Album: Massive Attack, Heligoland (Virgin)
Sunday 07 February 2010
Where do you go when the sound you pioneered has been absorbed by the mainstream as a default setting for car ads?
Sadly, if you are Massive Attack, you carry on as if nothing has happened. So instead of state-of-the-nation dark electronica that nods to developments in the genre over the past decade, we get more moody music with Martina Topley Bird and Horace Andy on vocals. Oh, and let's chuck in a few "indie" guests, too. Radical. No longer vital, then, but not without the odd moment to remind us why they mattered.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians