Album: Meg Bairds, Seasons On Earth (Wichita)
Friday 23 September 2011
Meg Baird, formerly the frontperson of Philadelphia-based psychedelic folk-rockers Espers, is left a little exposed on her own solo album.
Tracks like "Babyon" and "Song for Next Summer" are charming enough in a feathery, folkie-damsel kind of way, with their diffident blends of acoustic guitar and pedal steel or harp, respectively; but with her breathy voice slipping frequently into a falsetto hiccup, it's sometimes painfully difficult to discern the lyrics, as her delivery becomes a series of soft, powdery intonations. Still, fans of Vashti Bunyan and Bridget St John might approve. Such lines as get through hint at a sort of melancholy turmoil. The best track is "Stars Climb Up the Vine", where the wispy orientalist guitar parts recall such as John Fahey and Robbie Basho.
DOWNLOAD THIS: Stars Climb Up the Vine; Song for Next Summer; Babyon
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >