Album: Metropole Orkest / Vince Mendoza, Fast City (BHM)
Sunday 21 November 2010
This tribute to the late composer Joe Zawinul by Holland's fabulous 48-piece Metropole Orchestra is something of a missed opportunity.
Half of the pieces are spoiled by over-bombastic contributions by a heavy mob of ex-Weather Report guest stars (with truly terrible axe-heroics and singing from Amit Chatterjee). Mendoza's orchestral colours seem determined to paint Viennese Joe as an American pastoralist, but "The Juggler", "Dream Clock" and "In a Silent Way" remain pleasingly sensitive.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture