Album: Metropole Orkest / Vince Mendoza, Fast City (BHM)
Sunday 21 November 2010
This tribute to the late composer Joe Zawinul by Holland's fabulous 48-piece Metropole Orchestra is something of a missed opportunity.
Half of the pieces are spoiled by over-bombastic contributions by a heavy mob of ex-Weather Report guest stars (with truly terrible axe-heroics and singing from Amit Chatterjee). Mendoza's orchestral colours seem determined to paint Viennese Joe as an American pastoralist, but "The Juggler", "Dream Clock" and "In a Silent Way" remain pleasingly sensitive.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland