Album: Mike Vass Decemberwell, Rusty Squash (Horn)
Eschewing the standard repertoire in favour of original compositions, Vass has created an aural landscape of the Scottish winter.
These are evocative pieces, some with a log-fire warmth, others conveying the cold sparkle of snow in cyclical figures of guitar and cittern. One track uses the actual sound of hailstones on his window as a background percussive texture behind piano and despondent fiddle; another, depicting a frosty park stroll, includes his quiet, jaunty whistling, as if an overheard rehearsal. And in the more complex pieces like "Cycles" and "Hallan", the layering of guitar and fiddle phrases builds up a swirling, dervish quality, as if caught in a blizzard.
Download: Wintro; Cycles; Hallan
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt gives intriguing performance as unsympathetic war hero
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage