Album: Miles Kane, Colour Of The Trap (Columbia)
Friday 06 May 2011
Though many tracks are co-written with Alex Turner, Miles Kane's solo debut bears scant comparison to the duo's more grandiose work as The Last Shadow Puppets.
It's still suffused with a retro 1960s vibe, but this time the garage-pop influences prevail, with a sizeable side-order of psychedelia courtesy of the edgy West Coast lead guitar that streaks tracks such as "Happenstance" and the first single "Inhaler". Its successor "Rearrange" is the most powerful piece here, with the spooky feedback whine intro leading into the album's most adhesive hook. Elsewhere, the rolling tribal tom-tom groove of "Kingcrawler" recalls The Coral and "Telepathy" has a Hawley-esque twangsome manner to it; but "Better Left Invisible" is just too brazen an appropriation, of positively Oasean proportions, of the "Cold Turkey" riff.
DOWNLOAD THIS Rearrange; Happenstance; Inhaler; Telepathy
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women