Album: My Morning Jacket, Circuital (V2)
Circuital opens with a gong and orchestral fanfare, appropriately so for what may be My Morning Jacket's best album.
Recorded back in their native Kentucky, it's a much warmer, welcoming affair than the variable Evil Urges, with producer Tucker Martine expertly eliciting the synergistic quality of a band in perfect harmony. Several tracks glow with the kind of ebullient charm and sincerity one hears in Fleet Foxes, particularly "Wonderful (The Way I Feel)" and the title-track's euphoric reflection on cyclicality, which finds Jim James "growing older every day, going back to my childhood ways". A similar theme drives "First Light", while elsewhere "Outta My System" deals with overcoming bad habits, and in the album's quirkiest track, what sounds like a children's chorus urges us to "Hold on to Black Metal".
DOWNLOAD THIS Victory Dance; Circuital; Hold on to Black Metal; Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron at war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.