Album: Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens, What Have You Done, My Brother? (Daptone)
Sunday 07 June 2009
What the same label's Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings did to revive classic soul, veteran vocalist Naomi Shelton and her team do here for gospel.
In truth, there's not much difference, and if you like Jones you'll like this, with Shelton's rasping voice backed by arranger Cliff Driver's rolling piano plus funky Hammond and horns. The songs are uneven but when there's a really good one, as with "I'll Take the Long Road", "Am I Asking Too Much?" or "Change", it's appropriately heavenly. Seeing them live will be the thing.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 2 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 3 Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
- 4 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 5 The bubble bursts for Sodastream
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything