Album: Nas, Untitled (Def Jam)
Sunday 27 July 2008
It's been a long time since a major rapper made an album as politically radical as 'Untitled'. The presence of the Last Poets as guests offers a clue as to where Nasir Jones's head is at right now.
Three tracks in particular – the Massive Attack-ish "America", the consciousness-raising "N.I.G.G.E.R." and "Sly Fox", which berates the Fox network – are right up there with anything the Poets ever did. If this album has a fault, it's Salaam Remi's so-so production. Nevertheless, 'Untitled' micturates from a great height upon the recorded works of Nas's sometime nemesis Jay-Z.
Pick of the Album: Unfinished antipathy: 'America'
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God