Album: Nas, Untitled (Def Jam)
Sunday 27 July 2008
It's been a long time since a major rapper made an album as politically radical as 'Untitled'. The presence of the Last Poets as guests offers a clue as to where Nasir Jones's head is at right now.
Three tracks in particular – the Massive Attack-ish "America", the consciousness-raising "N.I.G.G.E.R." and "Sly Fox", which berates the Fox network – are right up there with anything the Poets ever did. If this album has a fault, it's Salaam Remi's so-so production. Nevertheless, 'Untitled' micturates from a great height upon the recorded works of Nas's sometime nemesis Jay-Z.
Pick of the Album: Unfinished antipathy: 'America'
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up