Album: Olly Murs Right Place Right Time (Epic/Syco)
Olly Murs claims to want to grow musically with each album, but any perceived development here beyond last year's In Case You Didn't Know is minutely incremental rather than an ambitious overhaul of his approach.
There's a Shakira-esque Latino touch to the riff of the single "Troublemaker", but for the most part elsewhere it's fairly standard disco-pop fare. The best songs are those co-written with Ed Drewett: the demotic narrative of "What a Buzz" is brightened by perky horns and whistling, while the anthemic "Dear Darlin'" employs strings and chimes to deepen the emotion of its epistolary melancholy. But too much of the album is drably formulaic, a series of gambits shuffled into passable shapes rather than memorable songs.
Download: Troublemaker; Dear Darlin'; What a Buzz
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
Best TV shows on Netflix: 26 series to binge on
Led Zeppelin to release alternative Stairway To Heaven after 43 years
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Freddie Prinze Jr on 24: 'Kiefer Sutherland was the most unprofessional dude in the world – I hated every moment of it'
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >