Album: Owiny Sigoma Band, Power Punch (Brownswood)
Saturday 06 April 2013
At first it seems like the more stripped-down sound, utilising additional electronic percussion, has taken the wind out of the sails of this experimental band from London and Kenya.
But then one acclimatises to the juxtaposition of futuristic beeps and nyiduonge drums. It's a neat aural illusion to make songs travelling at such a nifty tempo sound both spacey and paradoxically laid back. You won't have heard anything like it before.
tvSpoiler alert: Find out the result of a heated final show
peopleWhat advice would David Cameron give to his younger self?
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 5 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- < Previous
- Next >