Album: Pacific! Reveries (Half Machine)
Sunday 10 August 2008
Pacific! thoroughly live up to their name. Not in the oceanic sense but in the adjectival one: they pacify you. 'Reveries', the Swedish electro-pop duo's idyllic debut album, sounds as if you're being serenaded by an unusually benign robot.
Whole songs drift by without you realising you've heard them, but at the end of it all, you're feeling unaccountably serene. There are no ear-grabbing hits as such, but "Number One" sounds like the Beach Boys if Brian Wilson were a Blitz kid, "Sunset Blvd" sounds like the Buggles heard in a dream, and several other songs could, in some better, brighter universe, be Eurovision entries.
Pick of the Album: Ready for Mr De Mille: 'Sunset Blvd'
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains