Album: Paul Carracka, Different Hat (Absolute/Carrack-UK)
Friday 29 April 2011
A Different Hat is that rarity, an album featuring the singer live in the studio with a full orchestra, in the manner once commonplace for an earlier era of crooners.
These days, there are precious few singers capable of surviving such naked exposure, but David Cullen's vivid arrangements have been kept in suitable keys, which enables Paul Carrack to inhabit the material comfortably. Randy Newman's "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" is a clear standout: Carrack's understated delivery captures the song's core of ennui, while Cullen's orchestration evokes the warmer, nobler aspirations lurking beneath. Peggy Lee's "I Don't Know Enough about You" is another winner, the languid jazz arrangement including Carrack's own piano break in the style of George Shearing. A commendable success.
DOWNLOAD THIS I Think It's Going to Rain Today; I Don't Know Enough about You; I Live on a Battlefield
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Real-life Philomena says film is not 'anti-Catholic'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims