Album: Paul Carracka, Different Hat (Absolute/Carrack-UK)
Friday 29 April 2011
A Different Hat is that rarity, an album featuring the singer live in the studio with a full orchestra, in the manner once commonplace for an earlier era of crooners.
These days, there are precious few singers capable of surviving such naked exposure, but David Cullen's vivid arrangements have been kept in suitable keys, which enables Paul Carrack to inhabit the material comfortably. Randy Newman's "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" is a clear standout: Carrack's understated delivery captures the song's core of ennui, while Cullen's orchestration evokes the warmer, nobler aspirations lurking beneath. Peggy Lee's "I Don't Know Enough about You" is another winner, the languid jazz arrangement including Carrack's own piano break in the style of George Shearing. A commendable success.
DOWNLOAD THIS I Think It's Going to Rain Today; I Don't Know Enough about You; I Live on a Battlefield
tv Jenny Lee may have left, but Miranda Hart and the rest of the midwives deliver the goods
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader