Album: Peter Gabriel, New Blood (Realworld)
As with the Radiohead album, New Blood finds Peter Gabriel getting a second bite at his own material – in this case, continuing the orchestral re-arrangement approach applied to the cover versions of last year's Scratch My Back.
The prevailing tones are of awed wonder – the aspirant nobility of "Downside Up", the dancing woodwind of "San Jacinto" and "In Your Eyes" – or expectant tension, most notably in the emotional storm-surges of "Red Rain" and "The Rhythm of the Heat". Elsewhere, brass-band timbres lend warmth to "Mercy Street", while Ane Brun plays the Kate Bush part in "Don't Give Up" in fluttering, tremulous manner. Due to the choice of material, the arrangements lean heavily towards the dramatic and angst-ridden – well, it is Peter Gabriel – with the sole recourse to mellow calm reserved for the undulating strings of "The Nest That Sailed the Sky".
DOWNLOAD THIS: The Rhythm of the Heat; San Jacinto; In Your Eyes
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.