Album: Peter Gabriel, Scratch My Back (EMI / Real World)
Sunday 14 February 2010
A concept waiting to happen: a Gabriel covers album.
The concept? A song-exchange project twixt prominent figures who will reciprocate in due course. The music? It's orchestral, pianistic, drumless, slow, formal and, being Gabriel, sung with enough lockjawed grainy drama to generate that peculiar Gabriel effect, English soulfulness. An obvious point of comparison is Joni Mitchell's brace of orchestral covers albums. The songs? Bowie, Elbow, Bon Iver, Paul Simon, obviously Randy Newman... But no Moonglows.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter