Album: Professor Green, Alive Till I'm Dead (Virgin)
Friday 16 July 2010
Once best known for his performances at hip-hop duels, the Hackney rapper Professor Green has made the jump to chart success in the tried and tested manner perfected by Sean Combs, by borrowing pop hits wholesale as his backing tracks.
INXS's "Need You Tonight" provided the setting for his hopeful attempt to lure back a girlfriend, while "Just Be Good to Green" (with vocals by Lily Allen) adapts the old SOS Band/Beats International groove for another bout of bad-boy pleading. The Prof's a nimble chatter, but there's a tiredness to much of his subject-matter – all that stuff about how terrible life is in London, what a raw deal he's had, his romantic tribulations, etc. But you've got to admire the cheek of someone who compares himself to George Best, "but with a lot more sex". Really?
DOWNLOAD THIS I Need You Tonight; Just Be Good to Green; Oh My God
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget