Album: Quantic and his Combo Barbaro, Tradition in Transition, (Tru Thoughts)
Sunday 05 July 2009
This could be the hot, sweaty, slightly stinky sound of the summer.
Following experiments with afrobeat and classic soul, Will "Quantic" Holland moved from Brighton to Cali, Colombia, and this inspired mix of Latin grooves with psychedelic funk is the result.
A couple of tracks don't work (the Hindi singer was not a great idea) but over half the album is amazing, with the real coup being the string arrangements by Brazilian genius Arthur Verocai. Panamanian soul singer Kabir is pretty good, too.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special trailer released
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >