Album review: Aaron Neville, My True Story (Blue Note)
Sunday 20 January 2013
The voice of Aaron Neville is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world, but he's always going to be more comfortable on ballads than on swingers.
For his Blue Note debut, the production team of Don Was and Keith Richards make some excellent choices (after the dumb one of opening with the raucous "Money Honey"). Neville almost levitates through doo-wop, soul and R&B standards, with "My True Story" and "Goodnight My Love" as total triumphs.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >