Album review: Amiina, The Lighthouse Project (Amínamúsík) bbbb
Amiina’s The Lighthouse Project EP derives from a 2009 tour of unusual, confined performance spaces including the Dalatangaviti lighthouse, where the version of “Kola” included here was recorded – a sort of warped, fairytale waltz of celesta, glockenspiel and bowed saw.
The remaining tracks were re-recorded as close to those conditions as possible, exquisite baroque-pop arrangements of harps, strings, and tuned percussion. “Bíólagið” is a wistful nocturne of electric piano, accordion and theremin, while their version of “Leather And Lace” applies the unearthly tones of glass harp to Lee Hazlewood’s tune. The piece that best conveys the sense of confinement is “Hilli”, on which harp and thumb-piano pick out the melody.
Download: Perth; Hilli; Kola; Bíólagið
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Cilla, ITV, review: Sheridan Smith embodies the young singer perfectly
Tyler, The Creator says having new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly