Album review: Amiina, The Lighthouse Project (Amínamúsík) bbbb
Amiina’s The Lighthouse Project EP derives from a 2009 tour of unusual, confined performance spaces including the Dalatangaviti lighthouse, where the version of “Kola” included here was recorded – a sort of warped, fairytale waltz of celesta, glockenspiel and bowed saw.
The remaining tracks were re-recorded as close to those conditions as possible, exquisite baroque-pop arrangements of harps, strings, and tuned percussion. “Bíólagið” is a wistful nocturne of electric piano, accordion and theremin, while their version of “Leather And Lace” applies the unearthly tones of glass harp to Lee Hazlewood’s tune. The piece that best conveys the sense of confinement is “Hilli”, on which harp and thumb-piano pick out the melody.
Download: Perth; Hilli; Kola; Bíólagið
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Safe House, TV review: Plenty of teasers to keep us guessing but spare us the cliches
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron 'after credits' scene leaks online days before cinema release
Louis Tomlinson is launching his own record label and has already 'signed two acts'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments