Album review: Arcadi Volodos, Volodos Plays Mompou (Sony Classical)
Frederic Mompou seems an unusual subject for the Russian virtuoso pianist Arcadi Volodos, better known for the relish with which he tackles more complex material. By contrast, Mompou's music is of such modesty and discretion it seems almost to evaporate, retreating from the spotlight after just the hint of a theme.
He's been called “the Catalan Satie”, but his music is informed by a wistful, nostalgic melancholy perhaps best realised in the “Scènes d'enfants”. Rarely lasting longer than two or three minutes apiece, there's a Borgesian concision and brevity about Mompou's music, with its eschewal of ornament and development, that's quite fascinating the more one hears it.
Download: Musica Callada XV Lento-plaintif; Musica Callada XVI Calme; Scènes d'enfants; Prélude VII
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
Orange Is The New Black season 3: Pornstache isn't coming back
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains