Album review: Birdy, Fire Within (14th Floor/Atlantic)
If we know anything about the artist trading as Birdy so far it is likely to be as follows: posh, young (17), had a hit with a Bon Iver song even though her friends are more likely to be listening to 1D. Which is fine, dismiss her thus if you wish.
But Fire Within is Birdy's "she’s not a little girl any more" album. How do we know this? We know this because Birdy has written or co-written all of the songs, because there's a sombre black-and-white photo on the cover and because all the accompanying bumph tells us so in precisely those words.
And guess what? It's rather good, in a superior X Factor winner way: bold choruses and a voice big enough to rise above the lavish production. Not one for Bon Iver fans, but the kid's got something.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: New picture of Anastasia Steele unveiled
Star Trek 3 to begin shooting within six months
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Robin Thicke’s hit 'Blurred Lines' lands him in court, and he had 'almost no part' in writing it
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly